- Home /
- Medical Students /
- Sports Medicine Fellowship
Sports Medicine Fellowship
The Sports Medicine Fellowship Spokane is an ACGME-accredited, one-year experience in clinical and academic sports medicine that accepts one Family Medicine, or Internal Medicine-trained resident each year. All graduates who are ABFM certified will be eligible to take the examination for a Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine.
Our mission is to develop a well-rounded primary care and sports medicine physician who can provide a community with the expertise to promote physical exercise and care for athletes and active individuals of all ages. The program provides multiple learning environments and offers strong curriculum in evaluation and treatment of the injured athlete, return-to-play decisions at multiple competitive levels, functioning as a team physician and the opportunity for academic teaching and research.
- Clinical experience provided at Family Medicine Residency Spokane, Kaiser Permanente Activity, Sports and Exercise Medicine and Columbia Medical Associates. Additional sites include sports medicine, orthopedic, cardiology, radiology and other specialty practices
- Team physician experience at Whitworth University (Division III) and Rogers High School, offering a full spectrum of traditional school sports; limited involvement with Gonzaga University basketball and Washington State University (both Division I)
- Professional sports team coverage including Spokane Chiefs (Western Hockey League) and Spokane Indians (affiliated with Texas Rangers baseball club)
- Medical coverage of annual mass sporting events including Bloomsday road race, Coeur d’Alene Ironman Triathlon, and Hoopfest 3-on-3 basketball tournament
- Previous special event coverage includes the US National Figure Skating Championships and Mount Spokane Nordic Cup and Junior National Qualifier
- Weekly Didactics General Sports Medicine Topics
- Sports Ultrasound
- Journal Club
- Osteopathic manipulation techniques are offered
- AMSSM membership, along with attendance at the Sports Medicine Fellows Research and Leadership Conference and annual AMSSM meeting, are covered